Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gunnera

You know the expanse of gunnera shown on the STDC pest plant information page?

That's ours.

I was sent a copy of it today, following inspection and approval on the reduction of happily thriving swamp gunnera. I knew it was bad but...
Honestly, I can barely remember it looking like that.

I should scan it in - I know someone who might be rather intrigued by the 'before' image. He might want to come and get what's left and take it home for his garden (if it'll get through customs).

edited to add images Spot the gunnera. Any-one want to guess how tall that stuff is? (hint, if I get through the swamp to that patch it'll be way over my head. The offical species description is 1.5 - 2 metres - I reckon that's a gross understatement)


Here's a little one. I stuck my 20cm pasture ruler next to the seedhead (which only looks like brocolli in someone's hallucination) so you can see how little this one is.


The plants die down in cold weather, but new leaves emerge in spring - late July - and grow at some unmeasurable speed into overhead umbrellas.
I spent my first season on this farm finding out what killed it by spraying the plants I passed while working on other weeds. No to Tordon Max, no to Round-up. But Thistrol Plus knocked over even the biggest plants in two days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.